Do I need a BER Certificate before I can put my property on the market?

January 2013


We are about to put our property on the market and have been advised by our agent that we will need to get a Building Energy Rating Certificate. I explained that we would be willing to do so once we sold the property. Can you advise on the situation?


Building Energy Regulations, introduced in 2009, stipulate that a property for sale or to let must have a valid Building Energy Regulation certificate. The certificate is essentially a guide to the energy efficiency of the property and it rates it on a grade from A-G, with A being the most energy efficient. It covers energy use for space heating, water heating, ventilation and lighting calculated on the basis of standard occupancy.

There are exemptions for certain categories of homes, for example, protected structures and certain temporary homes. The BER cert will accompany a report detailing how the energy efficiency of a property may be improved.

This is consistent with energy regulations across Europe and further information on BER certs, as well as a list of accredited BER Assessors is available on the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland’s website .

As of January 9th 2013, a new directive requires the Building Energy Rating of a property for sale or to let to be published on all advertising materials for the property.

Therefore, vendors will need to provide the agent with the building energy rating before the property can be advertised for sale so that the rating can be included on all print and online advertising materials.

Ed Carey is Chair of the Residential Agency Professional Group of the Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland